Saturday, May 21, 2016

The 12 Letter Word that Changed the World

I have been thinking up this post for forever, and I finally buckled down to write it. Today I want to talk about a word that changed my life and the course of all human history.

12 letters that seem so simple but that in reality blessed all of our lives for all of time.

The word?
Okay, now I know that none of you use this word in everyday conversation.

"Hey Tyler! I'm not available next week; nevertheless, I'd love to catch a date with you when I'm free!"

Yeah, no. Don't even pretend.

But let's look into the power of this word.
Take a turn to Luke in the New Testament. In chapter 22, verse 42, we read the following:


I have no way to completely understand the feelings of the Savior at this time, but think about this. Christ was about to take upon himself the pains, sicknesses, infirmities, sins, worries, and fears of every person that would ever live upon the earth.

He never doubted his Father's plan, but I believe the Savior took a moment, as often each of us do, to ponder the significance of what He was about to do. There in that sacred garden of Gethsemane, He would suffer in a way that transcends any other mortal experience. Even He, perhaps, felt inadequate or unprepared to endure such an all-encompassing trial.

Christ prayed, asking the Father if maybe there were another way. Then, he followed his plea with this beautiful line: "nevertheless not my will, but thine be done."

Nevertheless.

He could have quit. He could have faltered, but Christ in his love and humility knew something we sometimes forget. He knew that Heavenly Father had prepared a perfect plan for his children and that He had an important role to fill in that plan.

Because He acknowledged this and chose to fulfill his vital role, we have endless peace and joy and love awaiting us. We are rescued by His outstretched hand as we choose to grasp it.

In spite of anything that may have tried to hold him back, Christ followed his Father.

We can do the same!

Often we are held back by insecurities, doubts, peer pressure, and a desire to stay in our comfort zones, but knowing our place in His plan helps us to overcome these obstacles and continue on in faith. Remembering the infallibility of the Father's will helps us to keep trusting and keep trying. Nothing in our idea of perfect could be better than that which Heavenly Father has prepared for us.

In spite of each hindrance in our lives, we too can respond to each of our Father's commands with a humble "nevertheless."

That is how we will live happily.

xoxo
Natalie

6 comments:

  1. Natalie, You are amazing and I love reading about your feelings and your testimony of our Savior and His gospel. You have such a delightful attitude and you spread this joy to those around you. Thank you for being who you are--an outstanding example of a stalwart LDS Young Woman. We love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are the sweetest, and I love you both even more!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Natalie. Thanks for your post. I found it quite profound. I hope you don't mind if I borrow from it for my talk this Sunday. It fits into my topic of turning our hearts and our will to the Lord (as the Lord turned his will to his Father). I won't use your name if you don't want me to, but I will acknowledge my source otherwise. I hope your happily NOW and forever after comes true.
    Bishop Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! I don't mind at all :)

      Delete
  3. Beautifully said, Natalie. It is one of my favorite words as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so the slowest replier, but thank you! :)

      Delete